Welcome to the Institution of Fire Engineers, South Eastern Branch
The South Eastern branch covers Surrey, West Sussex, East Sussex and Kent
The IFE was established in 1918 following a meeting of ten Chief Fire Officers at Leicester Fire Brigade Headquarters. The total membership currently exceeds 10,000 members.
To this day the Institution seeks to uphold the professional standards within all public and private fire sectors buy providing assessments of knowledge, experience and development.
The South Eastern branch is one of 19 in the United Kingdom with a further 22 branches around the world.
Our members are involved in a number of areas such as:
- Fire dynamics including ignition
- Chemistry and toxicology
- Consultations with government in the drafting and implementation of fire safety legislation and regulations
- Structural fire protection of buildings
- Fire insurance and arson investigation
- Behaviour pattern of persons faced with emergencies
- Fire detection and alarm systems, fire appliances and automatic fire fighting systems.
Specialist interest groups include:
- Fire modelling
- Heritage buildings
- Fire investigation and research.